Auto Insurance Claims Frequently Asked Questions
At Erie Insurance, we’ll always take time to answer your auto insurance claims questions.
The following information is provided as a general resource for Erie Insurance Policyholders. For exact answers to questions about a specific loss, you should speak with your Agent, or a claims adjuster, who could more thoroughly explain your auto insurance coverage, processes and your options regarding auto insurance claims as well as any other questions you may have.
Questions about Filing a Claim
- How do I file an auto insurance claim?
- To file a claim, choose one of these options:
- Contact your Agent during business hours
- Call a local ERIE office near you during business hours
- File your claim online
- ERIE also offeres 24/7 support. On nights and weekends, call (800) 367-3743.
- File an auto glass claim by calling ERIEGlassSM at (800) 552-ERIE, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. (Damage to a vehicle, except for glass, should be reported to your Agent or local Erie Insurance office.)
- What information do I need to report my auto insurance claim?
Your claim representative will work with you to identify the information needed during the claim process, but it is helpful if you can answer these questions:
- When the accident occurred (date, time)
- Where the accident occurred (be as specific as possible)
- How the accident happened
- What kind of vehicle or vehicles were involved (including the year, make and model)
- A description of each vehicle's damage
- The names and contact information of those involved in the accident
- The names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident
- If the police were contacted
- Do I need to contact the police?
- No matter how minor the accident, make sure you call the police to report the accident. This will help to expedite your claim later on.
- What are the basic steps involved with handling an auto claim?
Because each claim is unique, the claim handling process varies. Below are the typical steps your claim will go through after you report it:
- Discuss the accident
- Determine coverage
- Inspect the damages
- Estimate damages
- Settle the claim
- Who can I call with questions about my auto insurance claim?
If you have questions not answered here regarding your claim, it is best to contact your claim representative. If you do not have your claim representative’s name or phone number, contact an Erie Insurance office near you for assistance with your questions.
- What happens after I report my auto insurance claim?
- A claims representative will be assigned to your claim and will contact you, usually within 24 hours of your report. Your claims adjuster will explain the claims process and steps involved, discuss what your insurance policy covers, and answer any questions you may have.
- Does my auto policy provide rental coverage while my vehicle is not drivable or being repaired?
If you purchased transportation expenses, which is an optional coverage, the cost of a rental vehicle would be covered up to the limits provided in your policy. You can rent a car from the rental agency of your choice, or you can ask your claim representative about renting a vehicle through Enterprise Rent-A-Car®, which provides Erie Insurance customers with pre-negotiated rates and the opportunity for special services such as direct billing and delivery of the vehicle to you.
Keep in mind that rental coverage can vary by state and the specific coverage you purchased. Your claims adjuster will be able to answer questions and provide you with information on your rental coverage or set up a rental.
- Am I covered? Will my rates go up? Will my auto insurance be cancelled?
- Unfortunately we can’t answer these questions directly because there are so many factors that go into determining each answer, such as your policy coverage, claim history, driving record, loss type and length of time you have been insured with Erie Insurance.
It’s a good idea to discuss your questions or concerns and other questions you may have about your claim with your Agent.
- How can I get a copy of my auto policy?
You may contact our Customer Service Department at (800) 458-0811 or your local ERIE Agent to get a copy of your auto policy. You can also view summaries of your ERIE auto and home policies online. To get started, create an account.
- What are my options for getting my vehicle damage inspected and estimated?
Depending on your situation and location, your vehicle may be inspected through an Erie Insurance Drive-In Claim Center, Direct Repair Facility (DRP) or a field inspection. Refer to the car repair options page for more information on these facilities.
- What are my options for getting my vehicle repaired?
- ERIE’s auto insurance claim repair programs include several options regarding repair options and facilities. Refer to
Vehicle Repair Options for more information on this question.
For future reference, print a copy of Erie Insurance’s guide, What
to Do in an Auto Accident, and
keep it in your glove box.