Let ERIE Help You with Your Auto Insurance Claim
So you’ve had an accident, cracked the windshield, or worse. You’re probably a little uneasy about the claims process and how it all works. ERIE is here to help. Our Agents and claims adjusters are ready to help get you back on the road.
If you recently received a claim settlement check from ERIE and were invited to complete a survey, don’t forget to do so. You could win a $100 gift card. Read more
Reporting a Claim
Need to file a claim? You can file an auto insurance claim by:
ERIE also offers 24/7 support. On nights and weekends, call (800) 367-3743.
Understanding the Claims Process
After you’ve reported the loss, the following steps will take place.
- The loss report is assigned a claim number and assigned to a claims handler.
After the claim is initiated, the claims adjuster or claims handler will check on the progress of claim and make every effort to efficiently complete the process. Some claims can be settled quickly. Others – especially those involving litigation – may take longer.
- A simple auto insurance loss, such as having your vehicle towed or windshield damage, is assigned to a claims facilitator or inside claims adjuster. Communication with the claims handler is handled by phone or by mail and can usually be settled quickly.
- A complex auto insurance loss, involving other parties, injuries or more severe property damage, is assigned to a liability adjuster who checks for auto insurance coverage and may assign the automobile damages to a material damage adjuster. A medical management specialist may also work on your claim if the accident involved injuries to covered parties.
Keeping Track of the Details
To help stay organized and involved, you may want to maintain a file regarding your auto insurance claim/loss that includes the following:
- Policyholder’s name as it appears on the policy
- Policy number
- Claim number
- Claim handler or adjuster’s name, mailing address, phone number and title
- Estimates, correspondence and notes of phone conversations regarding the claims settlement
Keep this file with you. Wherever you talk to your auto insurance claims handler or adjuster – at home or at work – your documentation will help ensure the claim is processed in a timely, accurate manner. For future reference, you may want to put a copy of our What to Do in an Auto Accident guide into your glove compartment.
Still have questions? Contact your ERIE Agent. You could also refer to these frequently asked questions and answers for more information.